23 replies to this topic

#1 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 12:26 PM

Well, we all know the PS3 will cost $499 for the 20 gb version, and $599 for the 60gb version.

And besides losing a lot of exclusive A titles. Sony has announced that it's games will cost anywhere from $59 to $99 for blockbuster titles.

Well, by Sony, you did a good job till now. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Just because you made the most powerful system ever, gives you no right to charge $99 for the good games to come out on the system.

#2 Lost

Lost

Lazy Canadian Lurker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 12:33 PM

In all fairness, its probably almost due time that they hiked up the prices on games. Its not like it takes less work to make games nowadays.. And no I would certainly not be happy about having to pay $100 for a game..

#3 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 12:50 PM

I know it takes more time to make a game. But it takes a sh*t load more time for a power house system like the PS3. Because it's so powerful, it costs a sh*tload, and because it's so powerful it costs a sh*tload to develope for.

And because it costs a sh*tload to develope for it scares away developers. Few developers = A next gen gamecube with less success, but more power.

#4 Cleric

Cleric

Gun Kata

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:21 PM

I seriously am considering the Nintendo Wii becuase while it may take more money to develope those type of games the amount of games they sell makes up any loss of money in making it.

I am just not willing to pay $60-100 for a game which may look amazing but I will beat in about 10 hours or less. I would rather play a game that doesn't look as good but can provide endless hours of entertainment. Oh and an update and the Wii. It will cost no more then $250 when it comes out and Nintendo signed a deal with Sega allowing them to use Sega Genisis and other Sega games. Also for those of you who are still miffed about the controller it is not like they won't come out with another one that is handheld based. That is what Nintendo specializes in is additions to its system.

PS3 for all its hype is just to expensive for me and computers will eventually pass it anyways. What's the point?

#5 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, I was always interested in the Revolution (Not calling it the Wii damnit.) And I just bought a DS Lite a week back and it sealed my decision on getting the Revolution.

Plus, Microsoft and Nintendo are ganging up on Sony. "Why buy a PS3, when you can buy a 360 and a Nintendo Wii" as Peter Moore put it.

Plus, while it looked stupid, the controller looks to set up for some pretty good mindless fun.

I usually like to get every console at some point in the current gen. But with the price of the PS3, I think I may just stick to the Revolution and 360.

#6 Kru-Shanka

Kru-Shanka

Combine Soldier

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:48 PM

xbox 360 and halo 3 ftw !

#7 ghozy

ghozy

The Gobblemonster

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:54 PM

I would retire from gaming than paying $100 for a game.

#8 Cyprus

Cyprus

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:08 PM

Even though the games on the Ps3 look awesome, I'm sticking to my Ps2 and a new computer.

#9 Aziz

Aziz

Ё-Ж-И-К

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 01:52 AM

Yeah, first i gotta finish building my computer. If PS3 will be f*cking everyone over financially, like they say they will, and the games wont be much better that XBOX 360, im just going to get the XBOX... cant believe im actually saying that, since i love PS consoles.
Time will show i guess

#10 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 03:58 AM

60-99 for a Game because its BluRay, thats the ONLY reason.

I don't give a flying f*ck about their stupid HDR 20gb CD's, in the end, it comes down to the developer, simple as that.

I'd Much rather hotswap CD's during gameplay then have to keep up with stupid dev' schemes that require the user to go out of his/her way to make a game work.

If they would just remove the stupid BluRay technology, it wouldn't even cost remotely near the .5 k Pricerange, More like 250-300 at best.

that god damn BluRay Drive costs like 90+ to manufacture.

Dunno, Time shall tell, But I doubt its gonna look good at all for sony, was looking forward to the PS3, but for 500 Dollar's ive got a better chance buying a new X1950 XTX or something in October with GDDR4

#11 Riel

Riel

One Scary Fucker

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 07:16 PM

ps3 isnt f*cked if anything they are doing better....we all know gamers or the average person the price does not matter, games have always costed between 30-100$. Some may argue but they have and they have always sold. The PS3 system costing at over 500$ will get sold no matter what (ie. Why by a 3000$ tv rather than a 200$ one...people do it) Now for the Xbox360 they released their console with no games or very few at the start am I correct??. Xbox 360 cost a whopping 300$ or more it sold but to its full performance it required a HD tv costing at over 600-1000$. The Ps3 = 500$ no special tv required and games at the going rate that games are. (PC games cost between 10-100$) People BUY THEM and a lot of them. And if developers cant afford the Blu-Ray then I guess they shouldnt be making games. The gangbang from Nintendo and Microsoft towards Sony makes people want to buy Sony more....Microsoft and Nintendo knows Sony scares them and thats what they want...Microsoft is now developing another system to counteract Sony.

All in All MONEY DOES NOT MATTER IN THE GAMING INDUSTRY (why do people buy computers worth over 6000$ when they can get one for 1000$ that does all the same.)

#12 Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Smoke Bluntz

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 07:22 PM

Even though the 360 would need an HDTV to be best, don't all? And, yes, people buy $6000 computers, but they will do more than just play games on it.

#13 Cleric

Cleric

Gun Kata

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 07:29 PM

All in All MONEY DOES NOT MATTER IN THE GAMING INDUSTRY (why do people buy computers worth over 6000$ when they can get one for 1000$ that does all the same.)

I don't know about you but money is a major factor to me. As a broke ass college student my money is going to go towards gas and books. If I have anything left I am saving it.

Money is a huge factor. Of course there will be people who buy the PS3 but $500 + games + all the other crap + blu-ray dvds and discs (which buy the way are going to sell for $100 is a lot of money. People buy computers for the long hall and those who spend $6000 on a computer have the money to do so.

It would be like if you bought a $200,000 car you can offord to get it an oil change every 2 months and other service charges as often as it needs. I dont expect them to do good but not great.

#14 tjhooker

tjhooker

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:14 PM

BTW, cell isnt as fast at the ibm cpu in the xbox 360s... they had to tune it down so much to keep it from melting and keep costs low.... and the ps3 only uses a 7800 gpu... while 360 x1900xt varient.. so GL ps3.. I guess the extra 200$ for a slower POS is worth it...

#15 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:45 PM

ps3 isnt f*cked if anything they are doing better....we all know gamers or the average person the price does not matter, games have always costed between 30-100$. Some may argue but they have and they have always sold. The PS3 system costing at over 500$ will get sold no matter what (ie. Why by a 3000$ tv rather than a 200$ one...people do it) Now for the Xbox360 they released their console with no games or very few at the start am I correct??. Xbox 360 cost a whopping 300$ or more it sold but to its full performance it required a HD tv costing at over 600-1000$. The Ps3 = 500$ no special tv required and games at the going rate that games are. (PC games cost between 10-100$) People BUY THEM and a lot of them. And if developers cant afford the Blu-Ray then I guess they shouldnt be making games. The gangbang from Nintendo and Microsoft towards Sony makes people want to buy Sony more....Microsoft and Nintendo knows Sony scares them and thats what they want...Microsoft is now developing another system to counteract Sony.

Although your charming use of capitals and explitives really sells me on Sony products, I have to disagree with you. Playstation 3 is being seriously f*cked by the media right now. There is no gangbang by Nintendo and Microsoft, the gangbang is entirely by every article ever. When was the last time you saw a positive article about the PS3? I can't remember when I read one, personally. Right now PC games retail at launch at the $50-60 range (granted a few small exceptions) and the xbox360 games launch at $60 (once again, a few exceptions). Sony has stated that $60 will definitely not be the upper limit for games, and says they will go up to $100. Let us say that we want to play GTA (because everyone in the world loves GTA other than myself). Would you rather play it on your PS3 for $80 or an xbox for $60? Since you're part of the 90+% of the world that doesn't have an HDTV, it will look about the same on both. It makes for a hard argument for the PS3.
Next is the "And if developers cant afford teh Blue-Ray then I guess they shouldnt be making games." Developers can afford Blu-Ray. This isn't the problem. The problem is that it costs more to stamp out blu-ray discs than dvds. Developers already have enough trouble filling a dvd, so blu-ray isn't really necessary.
Yes, people will BUY THEM, but not everyone will BUY THEM because the price point is so much higher. It entirely is up to the game devs on which system they will release games. If all the good games end up on PS3, then it will probably win in the long run. It just has a much larger hurdle to get over at the beginning. It is a harder system to code for and costs more to the consumer. If it can't get a good game base quickly, it will probably suffer.
Sorry for any ranting etc. I just woke up from a rather poor nap. :D

#16 Novahawk

Novahawk

Beast

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:49 PM

Well the Blu-ray disks are what, like 54GB? Thats bigger than alot of peoples hard drives (the majority of people who use computers for just like internet and email)... HD movies will be coming out on Blu-Ray and and player it self will cost around $300 if not more... so you're pretty much buying a blu-ray player for $300 and the console for $200, but all in one... i don't know, i still like PS3 the best out of the next gen consoles.... but that doesn't mean that im getting one, PC ALL THE WAY!!!but i doubt games will be $100, sony isn't that stupid... they're just yanking everyones crank so everyone will be like damn ps3 sux.. and when it comes out and games aren't like $100 and its much cooler than everyone expected, everyone is gonna be like damn, gotta buy a ps3... or maybe sony IS that stupid... it is run by some crazy japanese people... but of course so is nintendo, but i guess that explains the "Wii"... :33:

#17 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:56 PM

Well the Blu-ray disks are what, like 54GB? Thats bigger than alot of peoples hard drives (the majority of people who use computers for just like internet and email)... HD movies will be coming out on Blu-Ray and and player it self will cost around $300 if not more... so you're pretty much buying a blu-ray player for $300 and the console for $200, but all in one... i don't know, i still like PS3 the best out of the next gen consoles.... but that doesn't mean that im getting one, PC ALL THE WAY!!!but i doubt games will be $100, sony isn't that stupid... they're just yanking everyones crank so everyone will be like damn ps3 sux.. and when it comes out and games aren't like $100 and its much cooler than everyone expected, everyone is gonna be like damn, gotta buy a ps3... or maybe sony IS that stupid... it is run by some crazy japanese people... but of course so is nintendo, but i guess that explains the "Wii"... :33:

Well, they did just nuke their CRT division... and I <3 Sony CRTs (54" HD at home with line doubling. :D). So much better looking than LCDs. :D

#18 hurley41

hurley41

Journeyman

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:23 PM

Well, we all know the PS3 will cost $499 for the 20 gb version, and $599 for the 60gb version.

And besides losing a lot of exclusive A titles. Sony has announced that it's games will cost anywhere from $59 to $99 for blockbuster titles.

Well, by Sony, you did a good job till now. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Just because you made the most powerful system ever, gives you no right to charge $99 for the good games to come out on the system.

lol you know how you said that the games are going to cost 59$ to 99$, they said they said that the xbox 360 what going to be 40$-50$ and they are selling them for 60$+, but it is a different manifacuar, but dont get your hopes up ! :tup:

#19 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:37 PM

Blue ray dvd players cost anywhere from $1,000 to $1,500. Look at this SITE. A blue ray player for 599.99. Seems like a fair deal to me. But I have a feeling this is just another fad. The blue ray players will eventually die and hd-dvd players will take over with their lower costs. Why would you want to pay 1,000 dollars for a new blue ray dvd player when you could pay $500 for a hd-dvd player. They are pretty much the damn same. Give or take a few gb in disc size. Sony is making a terrible mistake by going the blue ray route. I am gonna sit back and watch how the general public takes it and then make my decision on the playstation 3. But until then I will be playing the knew mario on my Wii. Woot Woot!!

#20 Cleric

Cleric

Gun Kata

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 11:40 PM

But until then I will be playing the knew mario on my Wii. Woot Woot!!

Wii ftw

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users