34 replies to this topic

#1 Stoned Hatter

Stoned Hatter

The Stoned one

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:05 AM

so anyone else think it is lame some places piss test for pot and sh*t when you applie to a job. i thought what we do in private time stays private, but why do they make it so hard for us to keep private matters to private? anyone else have that problem i love my weed so i don't want to give that up but i need a job any advise?

#2 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:14 AM

b/c when u get high, u inevitabley get lazy. and when you get lazy, you dont wanna do work. sorry man, i think its fair enough for jobs that require piss tests.. only advice i can give you is talk to workers and see how often they do them when they work. if they only do it when you first apply, take a month off. you'll save money anyways doing that.

#3 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:04 AM

If a job requires a drug test, then its probably a job that is not very safe to do high..

I couldn't imagine in Lowe's is some guy on a forklift was high trying to take down the top stock lumber or something lol

#4 Billy Pumper

Billy Pumper

Lord of the Posts

• Dedicated Member
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:09 AM

If a job requires a drug test, then its probably a job that is not very safe to do high..

I couldn't imagine in Lowe's is some guy on a forklift was high trying to take down the top stock lumber or something lol

the place i work is lowes x1000 and all but 4 guys there are on something lol (not at work)

Imo i don't care what the people i work with do as long as they work there ass off and don't leave sh*t for me to do. Hell one of the hardest workers we have is a stoner and drinks on the job.

we do get teseted, but everyone looks out for everyone like one of the guys who works there his cousin is the one who tests everyone so he just says everyone is clean lol

#5 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:32 AM

Actually, piss testing is not fair at all towards tokers. The 'laziness' effect is very similar to a hang-over, but does not last as long and is not as painful. The point is it does not last long, and it can be detected over a month later. Would you think it was fair if you were denied a job because you had been drunk sometime a month earlier, and they called you an alcoholic? No. And besides, the chemical they test for against MJ is not the same chemical that makes you high, so that chemical has absolutely no reason to be illegal.

#6 poopsmcgee

poopsmcgee

The Lord of You

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:10 AM

b/c when u get high, u inevitabley get lazy. and when you get lazy, you dont wanna do work. sorry man, i think its fair enough for jobs that require piss tests.. only advice i can give you is talk to workers and see how often they do them when they work. if they only do it when you first apply, take a month off. you'll save money anyways doing that.

Snipr it's that kind of bullsh*t attitude that is sending america down the toilet. You been listenin to rush limbaugh or something? As far as all tokers being lazy are there any other brash generalizations you'd like to make? Howabout this, you spend more than ten hours a week playing CSS. I think all CSS players are f*cking lazy pieces of sh*t, and as an employer, I should have the right to install a keylogger on your system. You know, to make sure you are not some lazy ass, childish, not to mention prone to violence CSS player.

A country supposedly based on freedom, liberty and civil rights that allows tests for something as innocuous as marijuana has it's priorities upsidef*ckingdown. Stoned, move to Canada. We have something here called the charter of rights. One time in the 70's some oil company started testing employees for weed. One guy took it to the supreme court, he won, and now it is against the charter to test ppl for marijuana at any point, for any job.

#7 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:14 AM

Yea well the fact is, poops and frag, that the things you state are NOT illegal, marijuana is. Alcohol and Counter strike are not illegal activities last time I checked.

#8 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:26 AM

Snipr it's that kind of bullsh*t attitude that is sending america down the toilet. You been listenin to rush limbaugh or something? As far as all tokers being lazy are there any other brash generalizations you'd like to make? Howabout this, you spend more than ten hours a week playing CSS. I think all CSS players are f*cking lazy pieces of sh*t, and as an employer, I should have the right to install a keylogger on your system. You know, to make sure you are not some lazy ass, childish, not to mention prone to violence CSS player.

A country supposedly based on freedom, liberty and civil rights that allows tests for something as innocuous as marijuana has it's priorities upsidef*ckingdown. Stoned, move to Canada. We have something here called the charter of rights. One time in the 70's some oil company started testing employees for weed. One guy took it to the supreme court, he won, and now it is against the charter to test ppl for marijuana at any point, for any job.

You sir, are incorrect. Stop generalizing, not all situations are the same. And Canada isn't a haven for drugs, we just have lax laws.

You CAN test your employees for drugs in Canada, and you can be denied a job / fired if you are found positive. It happens all the time. The only places that care about it, however, are where you are working with heavy machinery that can injure or kill people.

I don't know why all of you guys are defending this.... there are other choices. Go work at starbucks where you don't need the attention span if you don't want to stop smoking.

But if you want to say... work on an oil rig, then you're gonna have to take a piss test. 3 of my brothers have worked on the oil rigs, and 1 of them actually failed his piss test after he drove into his boss's truck.

I used to smoke weed in high school... it was fun then. And I don't fault anyone for doing it afterwards, but I'd prefer my dentist, pilot, and crane operators to be clean and sober when they work.

#9 poopsmcgee

poopsmcgee

The Lord of You

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:31 AM

Yea well the fact is, poops and frag, that the things you state are NOT illegal, marijuana is. Alcohol and Counter strike are not illegal activities last time I checked.

I knew that arguement would come along. You got me. In fact every time this is discussed, the blanket "marijuana is illegal" banner comes in to quash any opposition. Of course the reason it is illegal goes back to the 1920's when lumber and textile companys lobbied the governement because they were afraid that hemp would hurt their profits. There's also the question of societal damage. You never stopped to ponder why marijuana is illegal and drinking yourself to death with alcohol (a poison) is A-OK?

A government can make anything ILLEGAL. If some crazy CSS clan went totally nuts, stole a bunch of high powered assault rifles and murdered half of their school you just wait and see how long it takes for CSS to be illegal. In a country that tramples on people's rights through their drug policy it's not that far-fetched.

And as far as all this "I don't want my mechanic to be high when we fixes my pickup" BS, lets think here. The only piss test can detect marijuana for 30 days after injestion. IT cannot tell if someone is high at any given moment. I don't want some drunk filling my prescriptions, but just because my pharmacist is a raging alcholic does not mean he's drunk at work. This notion that someone who smokes pot in their free time is always going to be sneaking out to get high during the workday is a bunch of typical close minded fear mongering. It's just not the case. Stoned didn't come on here b*tching that there is no job where he can sit around high as a kite all day. That's not the issue. The issue is that he is being robbed of his liberty because he enjoys a remarkably harmless plant that has been used by hundreds of millions for thousands of years without causing harm to their respective civilizations.

Edited by poopsmcgee, 13 September 2006 - 10:54 AM.

#10 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:56 AM

I just started working at warehouse this week. And yeah, a drug test was required, but I hadn't done anything for over a month anyway. So it wasn't a problem. But at work people smoke all the time. Hell the best/fastest forklift driver there is usually high.

Not like it bothers me to get test, seems only fair, specially when working with machinery that could possibly kill someone.

#11 poopsmcgee

poopsmcgee

The Lord of You

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:02 AM

You sir, are incorrect. Stop generalizing, not all situations are the same. And Canada isn't a haven for drugs, we just have lax laws.
You CAN test your employees for drugs in Canada, and you can be denied a job / fired if you are found positive. It happens all the time. The only places that care about it, however, are where you are working with heavy machinery that can injure or kill people.
I don't know why all of you guys are defending this.... there are other choices. Go work at starbucks where you don't need the attention span if you don't want to stop smoking.

But if you want to say... work on an oil rig, then you're gonna have to take a piss test. 3 of my brothers have worked on the oil rigs, and 1 of them actually failed his piss test after he drove into his boss's truck.

I used to smoke weed in high school... it was fun then. And I don't fault anyone for doing it afterwards, but I'd prefer my dentist, pilot, and crane operators to be clean and sober when they work.

Monster you need to keep up with the news. Companies have tried, and have lost many many court battles in lower and the supreme courts in this country. Also I never said this counrty is a haven for anything, except perhaps a few civil liberties. Here is a typical story you see about drug tests that go to court. Justice!

That would never happen in the States. And as far as "it happens all the time" I'd like to see some proof. indescriminate testing for marijuana is too dangerous for employers because they know they will lose in court. So their lawyers tell them not to do it.

#12 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:03 AM

I knew that arguement would come along. You got me. In fact every time this is discussed, the blanket "marijuana is illegal" banner comes in to quash any opposition. Of course the reason it is illegal goes back to the 1920's when lumber and textile companys lobbied the governement because they were afraid that hemp would hurt their profits. There's also the question of societal damage. You never stopped to ponder why marijuana is illegal and drinking yourself to death with alcohol (a poison) is A-OK?

A government can make anything ILLEGAL. If some crazy CSS clan went totally nuts, stole a bunch of high powered assault rifles and murdered half of their school you just wait and see how long it takes for CSS to be illegal. In a country that tramples on people's rights through their drug policy it's not that far-fetched.

And as far as all this "I don't want my mechanic to be high when we fixes my pickup" BS, lets think here. The only piss test can detect marijuana for 30 days after injestion. IT cannot tell if someone is high at any given moment. I don't want some drunk filling my prescriptions, but just because my pharmacist is a raging alcholic does not mean he's drunk at work. This notion that someone who smokes pot in their free time is always going to be sneaking out to get high during the workday is a bunch of typical close minded fear mongering. It's just not the case. Stoned didn't come on here b*tching that there is no job where he can sit around high as a kite all day. That's not the issue. The issue is that he is being robbed of his liberty because he enjoys a remarkably harmless plant that has been used by hundreds of millions for thousands of years without causing harm to their respective civilizations.

You make me laugh. Seriously, shut the f*ck up. There is no need to rant about your marijuana should be legal propoganda, because that is not the point in this thread. Of course everyone wants marijuana legal, but while its not and still so popular, checking for it at jobs is perfectly fine.

Using marijuana is fine to me. Using alcohol is fine to me. It does not matter why MJ is illegal, or how it came to be. The fact is, that it is illegal. If you cannot see why an employer would not want someone doing their job that engages in illegal activities, then you simply are retarted.

#13 poopsmcgee

poopsmcgee

The Lord of You

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:06 AM

You make me laugh. Seriously, shut the f*ck up. There is no need to rant about your marijuana should be legal propoganda, because that is not the point in this thread. Of course everyone wants marijuana legal, but while its not and still so popular, checking for it at jobs is perfectly fine.

Using marijuana is fine to me. Using alcohol is fine to me. It does not matter why MJ is illegal, or how it came to be. The fact is, that it is illegal. If you cannot see why an employer would not want someone doing their job that engages in illegal activities, then you simply are retarted.

I tell you any facist government would LOVE to have you as a citizen. "It doesn't matter why MJ is illegal" Hilarious. Also let it be noted that the word illegal never came up in any of my posts until it came up in yours. I have no interest in legalizing marijuana, because I have no fear of "enforcement".

Edited by poopsmcgee, 13 September 2006 - 11:14 AM.

#14 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:27 AM

pot is fun!

Me Likey!

#15 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:42 AM

you guys are gay, bithcin about weed. get a life.

o and mr.hatter i would like to introduce you to mr. cleanpissinabag!!!!! you can work anyware you want wooohoahahah.

#16 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:06 PM

Agreed. That prick is taking this out of context.

Poops, all we are saying is that it's a requirement of some jobs. If a pharmacist is drunk or hungover at work, it's up to his or her boss to deal with it. Maybe it's ok for some to be drunk / hungover, maybe some have a 0 tolerance policy. The issue is that it's THE EMPLOYER'S CHOICE. Stop debating whether it's right or wrong, nobody gives a f*ck about your opinion. The fact of the matter is that if you don't want to take a piss test, then work somewhere else (or drink a shake or take a bag of clean piss). Or start your own company.

And stop spewing legal cases at us, we don't care. You CAN GET FIRED FOR FAILING A DRUG TEST if it's a mandatory part of your work contract. Airlines have 0 tolerance for drugs and alcohol, try to debate that one.

#17 poopsmcgee

poopsmcgee

The Lord of You

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:12 PM

And stop spewing legal cases at us, we don't care.

You don't care. because you were proven wrong with actual evidence, then you don't care. If you don't care, then why are you posting? And what's with this royal "we"? I know you are a bit pretentious but try posting viewpoints that belong only to you. If they had a piss test to weed out the assholes, you'd be living on the street.
As far as airlines are concerned i don't think Mr. Hatter has any interest in becoming a stewardess. So it's a moot point. The fact that he has to pass some test to get some joe job in middle america is the problem.

#18 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:53 PM

You don't care. because you were proven wrong with actual evidence, then you don't care. If you don't care, then why are you posting? And what's with this royal "we"? I know you are a bit pretentious but try posting viewpoints that belong only to you. If they had a piss test to weed out the assholes, you'd be living on the street.
As far as airlines are concerned i don't think Mr. Hatter has any interest in becoming a stewardess. So it's a moot point. The fact that he has to pass some test to get some joe job in middle america is the problem.

Like I said, if it's a job where the employee doesn't run the risk of injuring or killing people, then I'm sure they won't have a piss test. So you're "middle america" job market has a lot more choices than whichever ones have a piss test.

I'm not being proven wrong on the evidence, as I'm sure there are just as many or more cases where people were fired (legally) for failing a drug test.

Stop changing the f*cking subject. All I'm saying is that there are plenty of jobs out there that don't test for drugs. Find one of those. If you can't, then it means you have to stop smoking. End of story. I'm sick of you dragging this out and playing the "fascist" and "enforcement" and "civil liberties" cards. f*ck that. You want to pout because life isn't fair, then do something about it, rather than b*tching over the internet.

Taken From: http://www.bccla.org...stbrochure.html

The facts about
drug testing in the workplace
(1996)

What is drug testing?

Drug testing is a laboratory procedure which looks for evidence of drug consumption by analyzing urine samples. If tested, you must provide a sample in front of an observer to make sure it is not tampered with. Most people find this process highly embarrassing. Samples are sent to a laboratory for analysis, after which the employer is notified of the results.

Why do employers want to test their employees?

Supporters of drug testing say it will:

* reduce the demand for drugs in our society
* promote the health and safety of the persons being tested, their co-workers and the public
* ensure maximum productivity and honesty of employees.

Why oppose drug testing?

Opponents of drug testing argue that:

* The procedure for providing a urine sample is a degrading invasion of privacy.
* The information obtained is unreliable, and the results are often irrelevant to employers' real concerns about drug-related workplace problems.
* There are better way to address these problems�such as employee assistance programs and adequate employer supervision.

Do employers really need to test their employees for drugs?

Not usually. Employers do have a responsibility to make sure employees do not pose a safety risk to co-workers and the public by being impaired on the job.

For example, there would be obvious concerns if airline pilots or snow plow operators were intoxicated or high while working.

But a positive urine test result does not prove that an employee was impaired on the job.

All it shows is that the employee may have used a drug some time before the test.

In most cases, employers can use other ways to ensure that employees are doing their jobs safely and effectively, and are not impaired by drugs.

These include clear rules against being impaired at work, employer supervision and evaluation, peer prevention, performance testing, and employee assistance programs.

Traces of legal medicines (such as cough syrups, nasal sprays and ear drops) can be confused with those of illegal drugs.

Why should I be concerned about being tested for drugs?

Even if you don't use drugs, an error in testing could place you under suspicion. If you do use drugs in your spare time�even if you are never impaired on the job�you could be subject to harsh penalties, such as suspension or dismissal.

Whether or not you use drugs, urine testing can reveal intimate facts about you that your employer has no right to know, such as:

* whether you are epileptic or diabetic
* whether you are under treatment for a heart condition, menopause or depression
* whether you are pregnant.

Is drug testing accurate?

Urine tests cannot test for drugs directly. They test for metabolites�traces of substances taken before the test which are no longer active in your system but can still be detected.

The most accurate methods of urine analysis are time-consuming and expensive, and even then can be wrong at least 10% of the time. Companies often use cheaper methods which have a higher error rate. Surveys conducted in the United States have shown error rates as high as 30%.

Traces of legal medicines (such as cough syrups, nasal sprays and ear drops) can be confused with those of illegal drugs.

If I refuse to take a drug test, can I be disciplined or fired?

Yes. If you don't belong to a union, you probably have little legal protection against drug testing.

If you do belong to a union, there is no simple answer. It depends on the specific wording of the collective agreement. If this can be interpreted to allow drug testing, you may have to take the test; and if you refuse, you could be suspended, demoted, or fired. You should contact your union representative before agreeing to or refusing any test.

Regardless of any collective agreement, your employer may be able to test you if you are suspected of drug impairment on the job or of drug dependence. If there is evidence of a significant problem with drug use at your workplace, and there is no other reasonable means to monitor employees, your employer may also be able to do random drug testing.

If I test positive for drugs, can I be disciplined or fired?

Possibly. If you are in a union, you might successfully argue that your employer has not proven that you were impaired at work. If you do not belong to a union, you have much less protection.

In either case, you might be able to use human rights laws to protect yourself. But to use these laws, you would have to prove that your drug use was a disability�i.e., an addiction rather than casual use.

If I am applying for a job, can a prospective employer ask me to take a drug test?

Yes. Generally, there are no laws preventing employers from making a drug test a condition of your employment.

If you refuse to take a test and are not hired, human rights laws may give you some protection. However, these laws will probably not provide you with much immediate assistance. If you have concerns, you should consult a lawyer before making a decision.

What about my rights under the Charter?

This is probably the most often asked question about drug testing. Unfortunately, there is little Charter law in the area of employee drug testing.

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms applies only to the laws and actions of the federal and provincial governments and their agencies. It does not apply to the policies and actions of private employers. The Charter therefore does not protect private sector employees from unreasonable drug testing.

What should I do if my employer demands a drug test?

The answer depends on where you work.

If you belong to a union, you should first contact your union representative.

Whether or not you belong to a union, you should consult one of the organizations listed below.

Law in this area is new and constantly changing. This document is for general information only, not legal advice. Readers are advised to consult one of the agencies listed before acting on any of the information provided here.

Who to Call

If you belong to a union, you should first consult your union representative.

If you are an employee of the federal government or of a federally regulated enterprise, you may consult the Privacy Commissioner of Canada.
Phone: 1-800-267-0441

If you are an employee of the B.C. provincial government or one of its agencies, or an employee of a local public body (such as a hospital, university, school board or municipality), you may consult the Information and Privacy Commissioner of B.C.
Phone: (604) 387-5629

If you are a unionized or non-unionized employee in the private sector, and your employer is federally regulated, you may consult the Canadian Human Rights Commission.
Phone: (604) 666-2251

If your company is provincially regulated, you may consult the B.C. Council of Human Rights.
Phone: 1-800-663-0876

Any employee may consult the B.C. Civil Liberties Association for information regarding drug testing in the workplace. Copies of our official position paper are available free of charge.
Phone: (604) 687-2919

For a small fee, you may speak with a lawyer who practices employment or labour law by calling the Lawyer Referral Service of the Canadian Bar Association.
Phone: 1-800-663-1919

#19 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:00 PM

you guys are gay, bithcin about weed. get a life.

o and mr.hatter i would like to introduce you to mr. cleanpissinabag!!!!! you can work anyware you want wooohoahahah.

So true.

#20 poopsmcgee

poopsmcgee

The Lord of You

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:27 PM

Like I said, if it's a job where the employee doesn't run the risk of injuring or killing people, then I'm sure they won't have a piss test. So you're "middle america" job market has a lot more choices than whichever ones have a piss test.

I'm not being proven wrong on the evidence, as I'm sure there are just as many or more cases where people were fired (legally) for failing a drug test.

Stop changing the f*cking subject. All I'm saying is that there are plenty of jobs out there that don't test for drugs. Find one of those. If you can't, then it means you have to stop smoking. End of story. I'm sick of you dragging this out and playing the "fascist" and "enforcement" and "civil liberties" cards. f*ck that. You want to pout because life isn't fair, then do something about it, rather than b*tching over the internet.

Taken From: http://www.bccla.org...stbrochure.html

The facts about
drug testing in the workplace
(1996)

hmmmm Some page from 1996 on the BCCLA website < actual judgement by canadian judge within the last 4 months.

I'm done with this twit.

end

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users