40 replies to this topic

#1 Hoon

Hoon

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 12:32 AM

Like teh title says... i'm looking to replace my old lap top for a new, awsome fast comp.. i dun really care if it is desktop or laptop... any suggestions would be appreciated... and also i can only afford like 1500 bucks.. CAN.. thanks

#2 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 02:18 AM

No offense but thats extremely vague. Do you to make one or get one already made for you? Do you have a monitor? What type of gaming are you gonna be doing on this rig? Some questions you might want to answer first..

#3 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:13 AM

Yes, I recommend you build and not buy. A LOT cheaper for what you get.

http://www.newegg.com

#4 *CHILIDOG*

*CHILIDOG*

BoSS Fantasy Football 2010 Champ

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:18 AM

1500 for a comp is plenty as long as you build it yourself or have a friend build it. My comp is only worth 700 (only considering what's in the tower and my tower itelf.

#5 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:03 PM

1500 for a comp is plenty as long as you build it yourself or have a friend build it. My comp is only worth 700 (only considering what's in the tower and my tower itelf.

1500 can btw. but you can still build a good rig doing it urself.

#6 Hoon

Hoon

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:06 PM

i wanted a built one... i hate building sstuff it always falls apart... and btw wher do u guys get parts sooo cheap? i remember trying to find parts to get an estimate of how much it would cost for me to build and remember getting price way above the built one.... pfft.... i dunno

#7 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:01 PM

newegg.com .... but really try to build it, but research a bit before hand.

#8 Florida_Funk

Florida_Funk

Americas Wang

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:15 PM

Newegg is the sh*t, Built mine for $800 ( everything but the 21" LCD ) and it runs cc:s, bf2 and everything else i've put on it. Just look around and mix and match. There should be some killer deals this time of year.

#9 Hoon

Hoon

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:38 AM

yeh... ill be on teh look out for cheap computer parts!!!

#10 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:28 AM

First, think about what you plan to do with your computer, is it just for gaming? For $1,500, you might want to take a look at a Conroe build.

Would you rather have cheap parts (meaning you might want to upgrade sooner), or go with more quality (and plan to keep the computer for awhile)?

You need:
1) CPU
2) RAM
3) CASE
4) Motherboard
5) Video Card
6) Hard Drive
7) Power Supply

If you can put batteries into a remote, then you can put screws into a piece of hardware, and hardware into that hardware - that's all it takes to build a computer.

You've said you have a budget of $1500, what kind of monitor are you looking for? 19"/20"? Widescreen? Whatever?

If you answer some of those questions, I'll piece together a Conroe build and then wait for people to reply about it.

#11 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:51 AM

First Problem: He lives in Canada, New Egg doesn't ship there. He will have to use www.NCIX.com

His titles says CS:S & Other Games, now I assume he doesn't play on playing CS:S for the rest of his life (not like it takes much to run) and if he has never built a computer I doubt he want to have to upgrade. Most people want a smoking computer, and never have to touch it. Iceman suggests going Conroe, that's just disgusting. I believe that if you are a straight up "gamers" dual core is completely useless. When a customer comes in asking for a gaming computer we give them the following.

S939 4000+
Nvidia 7900GS or ATI x1800xt
160GB Sata 3.0 Western Digital HDD (16mb cache)
Biostar T series motherboard
Raidmax case with side window
500 WATT Rosewill PSU
1GB Patriot Signature RAM

This is about 700 US dollars, monitor is extra.

We have NEVER had one of our computers come back for "poor performance" (except the time one guy tried to overclock and he changed his FSB to 310)
Depending on what your upgrading from, you won't believe how fast that is. But if you already have a moderately decent computer then I'd suggest going AM2. Once again, I believe just a 3800+ with 2 Gigs of RAM would do just fine. If you've ever had the pleasure of using an AM2 with some good DDR2 RAM then you know, the RAM f*cking flys.

All your aiming for is something to get 60-80 fps is some demanding games like BF2 and Quake 4. With the setup stated above you will get well over 100 FPS in CS:S. Building a computer is a snap, the real trouble lies with what to buy and installing the right software, you should take some of the fellas adive but remember it's your money. Nothing feels better than picking up a new game and laughing at the Recommended Requirments.

#12 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:28 PM

Iceman suggests going Conroe, that's just disgusting.

- Conroe gives you an incredibly much faster system. But that would be stupid, because it saves you money too over AMD.

If you're new to Conroe, here's a good read.

The $300 Conroe CPU spanks AMD's $600 FX-62
AMD gets spanked again
... you get the point
More benchmarks
Some info about memory/bandwidth

The computer you posted above, is great for a <$1000, but something near $1500, you can do much better with Conroe. 1500 CAN is like 1300 US, right?

Edited by Iceman, 04 January 2007 - 01:36 PM.

#13 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:45 PM

FIRST OF ALL, HE ALREADY HAS HIS COMPUTER, READ THE DATES.

sry just to many people doing that as of late.

#14 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:41 PM

Holy old thread. He already has a comp btw, I think hes just looking for a video card now.

#15 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:56 PM

ill sell u mine for $1200 shiped.

#16 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:02 PM

Conro = Disgusting because it's Intel. The guy dosen't need an FX-62 and he dosen't need a Core2Extreme.

#17 wyte mafia

wyte mafia

|Intelligent| |Design|

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:04 PM

Conro = Disgusting because it's Intel. The guy dosen't need an FX-62 and he dosen't need a Core2Extreme.

you sir are a dumbass. :tdown:

#18 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:15 PM

I'm a dumbass, that's hilarious because your signature includes you bragging about weed. I'm sure your not the brightest of the bunch. If your calling me a dumbass because I don't like Intel, then you sir are the dumbass. It's called an opinion.

#19 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:25 PM

f*ck. AMD fans=Mac fans. Snobs that don't give a sh*te about performance. Its just 'cool' or 'sexy' or 'bonerific' to have an AMD. Accept the reality that conroes are better, its a fact, stop being a fanboy for your own good. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

#20 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:34 PM

Take a look at some of those benchmarks. I've been a very long time AMD fan, but when Intel came out with Conroe, they just raped AMD with a 16 foot cock.

Janton, what do you have to say in response to those massive benchmarks. Specifically where the $300 INTEL spanked the $600 AMD cpu? They all must be full of sh*t? Or maybe I only found ones that show Conroe is better? Or maybe those are all biased towards Intel? lmao

Edited by Iceman, 04 January 2007 - 03:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users