• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:02 PM

Sure the HIGH end CPUs (FX VS Conroe) Intel f*cking spanks it, but for price to performence for an average gamer who just wants to play CS:S I don't think someone should spend 189 dollars on a conroe when you could get a 3700+ for 80 and have all the power you need. As for being a fan "boy" my shop is sponsored by AMD. I HAVE to be a fan boy.

Edited by Janton, 04 January 2007 - 04:16 PM.

#22 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:07 PM

how the f*ck is $190 considered high end?

#23 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:16 PM

Chris82 Had a budget of 500, if he spends almost 200 on his CPU then he dosen't have much left. If you have 5000 to spend on a computer then of course your going to get a Conroe. If your budget is 700 you will probably go AMD though. I don't understand why everyone assumes i'm wrong, I get customers every damn day who know what a conroe is and know what AMD is and when they want a "gaming" computer (even if they have money) they normally don't request a Conroe because all they care about is that they can max out there settings and their games not be jumpy. They don't care about getting 15000 in 3D mark 06 or being able to render so much sh*t that they can drive their PC to work. Just because they purchased a "lower end" cpu dosen't mean it sucks, it means they got money for pizza that night.

Edited by Janton, 04 January 2007 - 05:21 PM.

#24 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:13 PM

As for being a fan "boy" my shop is sponsored by AMD. I HAVE to be a fan boy.

- lol, that explains a lot. "I suggest AMD because I am sponsored by AMD!"

Sure the HIGH end CPUs (FX VS Conroe) Intel f*cking spanks it, but for price to performence for an average gamer

- It spanks everything AMD has, except for the low budget builds, which are <$1500.... Anything around 1500 or more, a Conroe CPU is going to bring a huge performance increase.

Chris82 Had a budget of 500, if he spends almost 200 on his CPU then he dosen't have much left

- Nobody here suggested Chris go with Conroe on a budget of $500 lol... That would be stupid. The OP here says his is around 1500, more towards a Conroe build.

they want a "gaming" computer (even if they have money) they normally don't request a Conroe because all they care about is that they can max out there settings and their games not be jumpy.

- The only thing AMD has now, is the single core CPUs for people who ONLY benefit from gaming. For people who are spending money, AMD has nothing compared to what Conroe has, benchmarks show it.

#25 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:22 PM

keeping it in the thread hoons budget(assuming it will be smuggled) is 1200 american. Are you still recommending AMD. What about 1000? about the point were AMD becomes viable is at around 700. So your exaggeration of 5000 is really baseless and doesn't contribute at all to your argument.

They don't care about getting 15000 in 3D mark 06 or being able to render so much sh*t that they can drive their PC to work. Just because they purchased a "lower end" cpu dosen't mean it sucks, it means they got money for pizza that night.

So you are saying: 'be complacent, you don't need the best' . Just cause they got a lower end cpu it means that they got a lower end cpu, don't twist that argument. You could tell them that for a more money (200-300) they could be getting more performance per dollar. Its very simple, if you want the best bang for your buck, get a Conroe. If you are a cheap ass and want a 'super gaming computer' for $700, go right ahead.

"lower end" cpu dosen't mean it sucks

it means its worse, it doesnt mean you get a free pizza. By my dear uncle that lives a Colombia a lower end p3 doesn't suck, but he gets to eat his pizza. So do you understand how baseless and useless your argument is? Let me make it easy and say the only non-fanboy pro-AMD argument there is:

If you want an affordable computer($700) that has good performance get AMD.

Now if you want greatly superior performance the only affordable option is Conroe, and i can build you a good one for $1000.

#26 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:23 PM

in the low end for gaming amd and intel are close enough that you can just pick which one you want (3800x2's vs E6300's) for benching or folding (or OCing) intel is just better. Once you get into high end, it's intel all the way.
That aside, in the next few weeks anyone want an opteron 165 (topless) and an a8n-sli deluxe? :D Gotta make room for my E6600..

Also I put a budget build at <500. 1500 builds a pretty f*cking nice PC.

#27 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:27 PM

I want to stress that for low end builds, Intel can't compete on pricing. For people who want to spend $500, or $700 on their computer, AMD will be able to provide a better gaming machine. There is a market for that, there will always be a market for it too.

Now if you want greatly superior performance the only affordable option is Conroe, and i can build you a good one for $1000.

- That's it right there. What if my budget was only $500? Conroe couldn't do sh*t to touch that kind of build, AMD FTW.

Nobody is going to argue that going with AMD for very low budget machines is bad, or that Conroe can beat a very low budget machine. If anyone does try, ask for proof. You'll see that me, nor Mandraque will ever be able to prove that for $500, a Conroe build will be better. Our only argument, is that for anyone with more than a low budget machine ($1500,$1000, whatever), Conroe is going to greatly win.

I was so surprised that Conroe beat AMD when it first came out, that I didn't believe it - I didn't want to believe it. After reading the benchmarks, and all of the amazing features of Conroe, I'm sold. Lower temps, less heat, much better OCing (yeah, the Conroe CPU actually OCs better than the AMD ones).

How do you think your clients would react when they talked to someone who is familiar with Conroe, after they just gave you $1500 to build an AMD machine. I would never sell out my clients the way you have with yours.

#28 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:35 AM

I think, honestly, I mis lead people, or I didn't clarify. Lets say a customer comes in wanting a gaming machine and he gives me 1500 dollars. I godda make a profit, so I build him an 800 dollar computer. He doesn't know the difference and he probably knew the charge.

#29 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:51 AM

So you are saying that you charge people 700 dollars to build a computer. LOL

Where is your shop located so I can warn people about you.

Edited by kidcapri, 05 January 2007 - 12:52 AM.

#30 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:53 AM

No, it just depends man, like today some teenage girl wanted a computer to play WoW on (haha) and she had 1000 dollars. We picked out her parts and it came up to around 600 dollars. I can't build a computer and sell it for the exact same, I godda f*cking eat.

#31 kidcapri

kidcapri

Human Shield

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:42 AM

What are you ordering the parts on newegg or something? Generally with a shop you would have a distributor. After having your parts delivered and stocking your store, you would mark the prices on the parts up some to make what you paid for them back plus some. Not charge someone over half the cost of the computer to build it.

If you are pulling the parts off of your shelf where the prices are in plain view to the customer and then charging them your insane build rate, then you sir have problems. That is the problem with the shops around here. They ream you in the ass. I really don't see how they manage to get by. Most people refuse to go to them because of their prices. When I actually get my own shop (few more months), say goodbye to all these f*cking rip-off computer shops in my area. Basically, I could keep my shop open with the company contracts (desktop support) alone.

If you let the customer know you are treating them fair, they will always come back. I have seen to many people buy a new computer just because they have a virus on their old one and some jackoff wants to charge them $150 to run a f*cking virus scan. LOL are you f*cking kidding me. I have had people GIVE me computers because they had a f*cking virus and it was too expensive to remove it.

#32 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 03:31 AM

You gotta remember the guy is running a business... $400 for a company to build a computer doesn't seem too bad to me- it is high though. Usually these places will offer a warranty and tech support package with it too (so keep that in mind about the $400). You go through a company to get the piece of mind knowing that it was built right.

All of the comments on pricing and whatnot, are completely based off of a computer that costs a specific value in parts (like the $1500 number I was talking about, and the $1000 number someone mentioned earlier). We're not talking about extra services, paying someone to put it together, or tech support packages - parts, simply parts....

I would expect a Conroe build to cost a bit more in labor, due to it being a newer technology, and lesser known.

They ream you in the ass. I really don't see how they manage to get by. Most people refuse to go to them because of their prices. When I actually get my own shop (few more months), say goodbye to all these f*cking rip-off computer shops in my area. Basically, I could keep my shop open with the company contracts (desktop support) alone.

- I have seen the exact same thing, it is amazing. So many people will take their computer to a shop, that charges them $75 to figure out what the problem is, and then $75+/hr to fix it- even if it is simply spyware.

#33 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:17 AM

I will ban intel fanboys if need be, don't argue.

#34 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:27 AM

High five shadow. And Capri, I don't keep much "on the shelf" most of it is ordered from newegg. No one in my town really even knows what AMD is. Their just amazed that they can download music faster. If I didn't charge almost 70% then I'd be making no money. Ever been to best buy? Theres a line for idiots going to the geek squad and the geek squad only knows how to reformat and the only answer to the problem is....power supply. Those idiots charge NINETEEN dollars an hour. That is f*cking insane. And if you think I have a problem, then tell me why I've had my shop for over 10 years and we are the most recommended store in the county. I noticed you were opening a shop soon, if so you need to realize, people are STUPID. When someone calls saying "MY CLICKERS BROKEN! I THINK I NEED A NEW COMPUTER!" I'm not going to say it's just your mouse, people come to a computer shop to get their sh*t fixed, regardless of price b/c they sure as hell don't know how to fix their clickers.

#35 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:34 AM

heh, true.

its fun to an extent, some people are a pain in the ass, the entire thing is gay tbh, makes me annoyed, and yeah Bestbuy is the biggest bunch of fucking idiots I've ever seen, especially considering the arrogance of their people, fucking sad to say the least.

#36 medel

medel

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:35 PM

heh, true.

its fun to an extent, some people are a pain in the ass, the entire thing is gay tbh, makes me annoyed, and yeah Bestbuy is the biggest bunch of f*cking idiots I've ever seen, especially considering the arrogance of their people, f*cking sad to say the least.

While bestbuy is absolutely terrible, I think compusa may actually be worse... sad but true.. (both are horribly incompetant, though)

#37 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:06 PM

I agree, CompUSA is just garbage. They don't sell a single AMD proc with 1MB Cache, and they consider their x700 to be "high end" I went in there asking for an 80GB HD, didn't matter what type, they said that you can't run windows with 80GB's so they don't keep them in stock.

#38 Iceman

Iceman

Combine Soldier

• Banned
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:28 PM

they said that you can't run windows with 80GB's so they don't keep them in stock.

- hahaha, I believe it.

BestBuy is going to court of their stupidity pretty soon, keep your eye out for that.

#39 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:05 PM

First off this thread is getting dumber and dumber.

Secondly: I AM AN AMD FANBOY That being said Intel has the best bang for your buck cpu PERIOD. Core 2 duo uses less power, and is more powerfull than AMD for the buck. If you dont believe that then I suggest using this thing we call the Internet and reading something. There are drawbacks of course like anything else.

Being a fanboy myself, I will wait untill AMD comes out with something better to upgrade. ATM their 4x4 platform is a joke though unless they pull some tricks out of their sleeves.....gigawatt psus ftw :tdown:

IMO if you are going to say that you "know" hardware keep the fanboyness aside or you just end up looking like a fucking idiot. As asid before I am an AMD fanboy and prolly wont buy Intel. If a buddy of mine asks me what kind of rig buy right now I'd say conroe all the way. If you say otherwise you are screwing your friend.

Benchmarks and hardware prices dont lie..........

#40 Janton

Janton

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:33 PM

I think we need a Hard Ware argument forum, I don't dislike any of you, I love arguing about hardware opinions, think about it, life is about opinions. So, I'm sure this topic needs to be closed now but it was fun fighting about it :evil:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users