• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 andyouarewho

andyouarewho

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:45 PM

Okay...at the age of 17, it has now been exactly 17 years since I have had the unbelievable desire to own a canine of my own. So of course, I am stuck with cats and gerbils and guinea pigs and birds throughout my life, my parents assuming that they would compensate for my love of dogs. Nonetheless, I'm getting a new job, (was recently fired from Dunkin' Donuts, word of advice, don't give out free food), and I realized. My parents never wanted me getting a dog because they felt I couldn't care for it etc. etc., but now that I'm receiving an income, I'll buy the damn dogfood, I'll buy the damn chewtoys and nibblets and treats and dogbeds and squeaky toys, and hell, I'll buy the damn dog myself. Some people have those cravings to buy a really nice computer, or save their money for a few months to get a vacation, or buy a prostitute, or something, my bliss would be a dog. The thing I have always wanted.
Nonetheless, if I do get a dog:
1) I'll have no f*cking idea what to do. Cats, you throw a bowl of food and water at them and they'll live all alone and be happy.
2) Where the f*ck am I gonna get a dog without having to worry about screenings and them coming to my house and all that bullsh*t.
3) What kind of dog should I get? I refuse to get a small dog, they're more like oversized rats, although they are cute in their own ways. I can't get a big dog, it's bad enough I'm doing this behind my parents back (yes, incase I forgot to mention that, the mother won't be knowing about my plans to get a dog, although I'm getting backed by my father), so I might as well not get a dog that'll break sh*t. I want a medium sized dog, something along the lines of a beagle or a Jack Russel Terrier.
::and lastly::
4) Am I f*cking crazy for doing this?

#2 The Drizzle

The Drizzle

Who is the drizzle?

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:49 PM

Are you going away to college in a year or 2? Whos going to take care of the dog while you are away?

#3 Florida_Funk

Florida_Funk

Americas Wang

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:17 PM

adopting a dog is great way to go, not only do you get to save a dogs life but your mom will find it hard to say no if she knows the dog will be killed if returned.

#4 Silent Bob

Silent Bob

Combine Zombie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:48 PM

black labs, chocolate labs, golden retrievers, boxers (or better yet...boxer beagles)!

All of those are smart, strong, loyal dogs that like attention, but don't demand too much of it.

#5 $VT-c0brA

$VT-c0brA

drunken master

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:23 PM

pit-bulls ftw!!!!!only pits all other dogs are just dinner for a pit......... :evilgrin:

small ....compact.....and won't let any nigger fuck with you......ever!!!

#6 Florida_Funk

Florida_Funk

Americas Wang

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:35 PM

pit-bulls ftw!!!!!only pits all other dogs are just dinner for a pit......... :evilgrin:

small ....compact.....and won't let any !@#$%^& f*ck with you......ever!!!

:tup:

see pits already come with armor.....Posted Image

Edited by Florida_Funk, 21 April 2007 - 04:37 PM.

#7 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:16 PM

Pitbulls can be really nice dogs. But if you're not PRO at raising dogs, don't get one. Seriously.
Any type of Labrador/Retriever would probably be your best bet, although buying them can be expensive. Look at your local animal shelter / classifieds for labs etc up for adoption. Make sure the dog has been raised properly (It really is the most important thing). And if you buy a puppy, make sure you got support, because that dog can be your best friend forever, or get taken by animal control by complaints from your neighbors (if you can't handle raising a dog).
And if you're moving away from home and going to college in the near future, #4 is true :tup:
Oh, and RAISE YOUR DOGS PROPERLY PEOPLE (that goes for kids too).

#8 andyouarewho

andyouarewho

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:47 PM

I'll probably end up getting a mutt at the pound. I want a puppy, I have 3 cats, so I'd need a puppy for it to be used to the cats. Otherwise I'll have a dead animal on my hand real soon. My cats are friendly enough, assuming the puppy won't f*ck with them.
Pit bulls are a no no, I'm not too big on them. Just a personal preference, that's it.
You think the pound would sell me a dog and not go through that bullsh*t that some dealers go through where they check out your house and sh*t? I can't have some dog dealer coming to my house and notifying the mother of my wonderful intentions.

#9 Halcomb

Halcomb

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:57 PM

I'll probably end up getting a mutt at the pound. I want a puppy, I have 3 cats, so I'd need a puppy for it to be used to the cats. Otherwise I'll have a dead animal on my hand real soon. My cats are friendly enough, assuming the puppy won't f*ck with them.
Pit bulls are a no no, I'm not too big on them. Just a personal preference, that's it.
You think the pound would sell me a dog and not go through that bullsh*t that some dealers go through where they check out your house and sh*t? I can't have some dog dealer coming to my house and notifying the mother of my wonderful intentions.

well, if you're going to the pound or what not... most of the time they give you a chance to run around with the dog and allow you and the dog to get a feel for each other. find one you mesh well with.

oh, and don't expect to just come home and surprise mom and dad with this. most places require you to be above 21 to adopt. so i don't know if you mentioned them having agreed to this, but it's a must unless you live alone, and even you'll need consent.

#10 andyouarewho

andyouarewho

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:49 PM

Once again, the father will be in on it. The mother just won't know. (Father = 50 somethin years old)

#11 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:56 PM

Mutts are fine, as long as you know what breeds are mixed in. You prob don't want something that's half wolf and half pitbull :P

#12 IWantWhiteCastle

IWantWhiteCastle

I Know the Slyder Secret

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:56 AM

For someone seriously considering a dog you sure don't know much about dogs.

#13 andyouarewho

andyouarewho

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:35 AM

Why else would I be posting about it on a forum?

#14 poopsmcgee

poopsmcgee

The Lord of You

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:52 AM

I have a feeling that this is going to end badly, with Rex going off to" live on a farm" or something.

#15 andyouarewho

andyouarewho

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:39 AM

Nah, regarding living conditions it's good. Theres nothing the mother can do about kicking the dog outta the house so once I have it it's staying.
We have 2 acres of fenced in land, perfect for a dog to roam around in, and I'm going to invest as much time as I possibly can into this pup.

#16 -=Penguin=-

-=Penguin=-

Jedi Mind Tricks

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:17 AM

i got a golden retriever and hes 2 years old now and i had no problems with him, hes friendly,listens and i have a cat which he doesnt bother. Like everyone else said u have to raise it good when its young and train him, golden retrievers are fairly easy to train for a first dog :tup: :tup: :tup:

#17 andyouarewho

andyouarewho

Combine Soldier

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:46 AM

I'll definately go for either a beagle or a Golden Retriever, hopefully I can find a pup somewhere. But first I'm gonna go to a pound see if they have any pups around. Hopefully I'll find a good mutt. Besides mutts have less health problems than Purebreeds. But if necessary, one of the largest beagle breeders in America lives in NJ, where I live. =D Beagle puppies FTW.

#18 -=Penguin=-

-=Penguin=-

Jedi Mind Tricks

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:36 PM

get a bulldog

they're fat,druel,retarded... the perfect dog

#19 Raccoon00

Raccoon00

Lob