Article

#2 ShLoNkY

ShLoNkY

I <3 t3h Internets

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:46 PM

Good idea but last time I checked it took GOBS of power to run a compressor.

You'd think it would be somewhat costly to fill one of those giant 3000+ PSI air tanks. Not to mention, you wouldn't think the air pressure would push pistons in favor of gear driven air powered just like air tools.

I'm no engineer though.

#3 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:51 PM

That's pretty neat.

#4 monster

monster

You live on pen island

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:52 PM

Good idea but last time I checked it took GOBS of power to run a compressor.

You'd think it would be somewhat costly to fill one of those giant 3000+ PSI air tanks. Not to mention, you wouldn't think the air pressure would push pistons in favor of gear driven air powered just like air tools.

I'm no engineer though.

They did say that it costs about $2 worth of electricity to fill up the car...

#5 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:55 PM

Compared to $40 to fill a sedan's gas tank.

#6 $VT-c0brA

$VT-c0brA

drunken master

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:03 PM

pretty cool

#7 pusadolfo

pusadolfo

Ant Lion Guard

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:32 PM

that's what it takes me to fill my gas tank, actually it's more like $1.50

#8 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 02:47 PM

that's what it takes me to fill my gas tank, actually it's more like $1.50

What do you drive? A Vespa?

Fuck it's bout $40 here to fill my 14.2 Gal tank.

#9 EVIL Shenanigans

EVIL Shenanigans

Basement Caucasian

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:28 PM

If i had to guess, pusadolfo is probably usin bio-diesel and a diesel engine...definatley the cheapest way to get around nowadays though its kinda expensive to set up operations and you really need to know what your doin.

As far as the air-car, seems pretty cool if your only goal is to get from point a to point b...but the idea of filling up at your home only kinda freaks me out. Until power sources to charge these cars up can be found at every fuel station, and the engine size surpasses a minimum of 2 cylinders (<--lmfao), i'll stick to my 3.5 V6 twin cam engine...

#10 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:46 PM

people, he lives in Venezuela.

i think the air care are a really good idea.

#11 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:00 PM

If i had to guess, pusadolfo is probably usin bio-diesel and a diesel engine...definatley the cheapest way to get around nowadays though its kinda expensive to set up operations and you really need to know what your doin.

As far as the air-car, seems pretty cool if your only goal is to get from point a to point b...but the idea of filling up at your home only kinda freaks me out. Until power sources to charge these cars up can be found at every fuel station, and the engine size surpasses a minimum of 2 cylinders (<--lmfao), i'll stick to my 3.5 V6 twin cam engine...

1) The power source is found at EVERY GAS STATION! It runs on Gas to refill the air tank while you drive, or you can just hook up an air compressor to fill the air tank. How many gas stations don't have a compressor or gas? Not to mention they get over 4000 km to a tank. So why worry about how many places there are to fill up besides your home?

2) The cars in the earlier part of the video were 4 cylinders.

Way to form an opinion on something you didn't even pay attention to. . .

#12 Billy Pumper

Billy Pumper

Lord of the Posts

• Dedicated Member
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:39 PM

that would be fucking amazing, and honetly at just under 70mph that would just about be usable for highway travel. seeing that most intestates have a max speed of 70. i would love that since it costs me almost $80 everytime i fill up my truck. and all you need is an aircompressor well shit my dad has a big ass one in his garage.

you would think this would be THE ANSWER but the people who could make this possible have so much invested in the oil buisness i doubt this will ever get off the ground. just think if we did this it would almost negate the middle east. Their main source of income is oil. Yes we would still need it but not at $100 a barrel. God it would be nice to just fill my truck up and not feel like im supporting terrorism lol

#13 EVIL Shenanigans

EVIL Shenanigans

Basement Caucasian

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:56 PM

Way to form an opinion on something you didn't even pay attention to. . .

If you can use the air to refil the tanks, sure...i've only ever used em to fill up my tires. And then your talking about approx 120 miles each refil of air (if you wait as long as possible)...prepare yourself for stopping at the gas station a lot more then normal. And i was origonally refering to acitivating the air compressor on the car...which unforunatley would NEED to be powered by the 'unit' kept presumably at your residence. The 2 cylinder engine comment just made me laugh which is why i said somethin about it.

...oh yeah, and calm the f*ck down. If you thought this was my attempt to put down your precious find, remember i said i liked it. I think its great technology that i just wish was more mainstream...perhaps having a usable power source at most gas stations to work the compressor as well as air?

you would think this would be THE ANSWER but the people who could make this possible have so much invested in the oil buisness i doubt this will ever get off the ground.

Unfortunatley true. Bio-diesel, electric cars, and even these air cars would be great...there just having so much trouble becoming 'normal' because the the oil executives are spending too much of their time counting all the money they're makin off of just selling petroleum.

Edited by EVIL Shenanigans, 28 October 2007 - 05:07 PM.

#14 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:52 PM

That's cool. Nice find.

#15 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:00 PM

definitely cool.

i heard about these but the video's sweet.

#16 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:28 PM

If you can use the air to refil the tanks, sure...i've only ever used em to fill up my tires. And then your talking about approx 120 miles each refil of air (if you wait as long as possible)...prepare yourself for stopping at the gas station a lot more then normal. And i was origonally refering to acitivating the air compressor on the car...which unforunatley would NEED to be powered by the 'unit' kept presumably at your residence. The 2 cylinder engine comment just made me laugh which is why i said somethin about it.

...oh yeah, and calm the f*ck down. If you thought this was my attempt to put down your precious find, remember i said i liked it. I think its great technology that i just wish was more mainstream...perhaps having a usable power source at most gas stations to work the compressor as well as air?

One, I don't give a shit if you put down the fucking topic or not. I just hate how people blab off their fucking mouths with negatives about something that wasn't even true. You completely got your statements wrong, that's what pissed me off, because if you even paid a bit of attention to the video, you would have known.

You say 120 miles, but that's to a single tank of air, and the concept for the pure air car was for just city driving, like for taxi's and such that don't put on a huge amount of miles, or are around a ready source to refuel.

The hybrid model which would be the more plausible everyday user car, would combine a gas engine with the air tanks. Having the gas engine refill the air tanks as you drive.. Meaning you could get across the whole continental United States on a single tank of gas. And if you had that kind of milage per tank, specially per tank that just needed gasoline or some other fuel source (Like bio diesel or hydrogen.). Then why the fuck would you think there's an issue with refilling.

#17 Raccoon00

Raccoon00

Lob

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:04 PM

cool

#18 EVIL Shenanigans

EVIL Shenanigans

Basement Caucasian

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:41 PM

*insert stuff ezekiel said last*

Okay, after coming close to memorizing it by watchin the video several times and readin the included article, i see your point. I still have my qualms with with origonal pure-air model in that if you would care to go on a road trip, it would be somewhat agrivating refilling it...unless you had the money to own two cars, i suppose. AND if you listen to the video again, he says "...and you should get about 200 kilometers (or 120 mi) out of the tanks (<--PLURAL) in the back...". As for the rest of your corrections to my post, i accept that my attempt at having an educated opinion was flaud, apologize to you any anyone else reading all this, and vow to study hard and convert every bit of information i ever hear again about any topic to memory so that i will never be the least bit wrong ever again (since aparently, thats a sin and you'll definatly go to hell). <3

Anyways, to hopefully stear this out of a pointless rant, i'd be curious what the crash ratings would look like. Generally I've always thought steel to be stronger than Alu, but after some research (since Ezekiel has taught me so well), that isn't necesarily the case....

#19 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:29 PM

ill steal the thunder from ezekiel and ill inform you that the engine is aluminum as said in the vid.

#20 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:23 PM

Anyways, to hopefully stear this out of a pointless rant, i'd be curious what the crash ratings would look like. Generally I've always thought steel to be stronger than Alu, but after some research (since Ezekiel has taught me so well), that isn't necesarily the case....

That was the only real negative point I could find. It wouldn't be fun to have a frontal with a hummer in a vehicle whose frame is made out of aluminum. But then again if everyone drove those kinds of cars there wouldn't be a problem (highway crashes aside).
I think something like this may be the solution to the steadily increasing oil prices, but I'm sure the oil companies will do everything in their power to stop this idea from becoming mainstream.
Greed and ignorance don't mix well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users