#1 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:25 PM

http://windowsvistab...-windows-7.aspx

Well, Windows 7 is well on its way to replacing Vista, as it's reaching the beta phase with a developer only beta release and is officially being named "Windows 7" which is the first time the code name for a Microsoft OS has become the official name.

From random blurbs it seems promising as rumors, which are only rumors, are that the OS untweeked takes up only 50-60mb of RAM. If true, then this is what Vista should have been, a step forward, not an enlarging foot.

P.N.E. (Pointless Ninja Edit. :20: ) My soup I had packed for dinner between my Graphic Design class and my Dreamweaver class spilled out and got everything soggy. Leaving me hungry... And staring at a snack machine wishing I had money.

#2 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

mmm soup.

#3 dar_tana

dar_tana

Death to the Infidels!

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:30 PM

Any predictions on when it will become available? I understand, knowing Microsoft, it could be quite awhile.

#4 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:58 AM

Any predictions on when it will become available? I understand, knowing Microsoft, it could be quite awhile.

Around July is my guess, when the stop selling XP again.

#5 Mandraque

Mandraque

Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:27 AM

Around July is my guess, when the stop selling XP again.

july of 2011

#6 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:04 AM

I'm not going to get excited about it.

#7 Frag0holic

Frag0holic

I AM DEATH INCARNATE

• Dedicated Member
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:39 AM

Cool... we'll see what happens with it.

#8 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:14 PM

about time a new core came out. if this minwin actually ends up working, windows will be balls to the wall.

#9 Bumblebee

Bumblebee

Combine Elite

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:04 AM

about time a new core came out. if this minwin actually ends up working, windows will be balls to the wall.

When it comes out I will have already completed my tour of duty and have been back for 6 months most likely... BAH on vista...

#10 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:36 AM

http://www.theinquir...28/vista-doomed

vista is dooooomed.

#11 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:35 AM

of fucking course vista is doomed, even microsoft don't want any part in its failure.

#12 DocSeuss

DocSeuss

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:44 AM

So.... Windows 7 is basically OSX?

Best way to make something a success, emulate other successful products.

All things aside, W7 does look quit interesting. I have never used Vista so I dont have anything to say about it. However I am really surprised how many similarities Windows 7 seems to share with OSX.

Examples:
New Explorer with libraries = Finder
Launch bar is more and more like the Dock
Widgets?!
Easy switching of window priority = Expose'
Previews into files is already seen in OSX.

I really hope there are some more innovations coming out with W7. "Snow Leopard" (horrible name) seems to be lacking innovations, so this would be a great time for MS to steal some people back.

Dave

#13 matthew0155

matthew0155

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:39 AM

All things aside, W7 does look quit interesting. I have never used Vista so I dont have anything to say about it. However I am really surprised how many similarities Windows 7 seems to share with OSX.

Examples:
Widgets?!

I really hope there are some more innovations coming out with W7. "Snow Leopard" (horrible name) seems to be lacking innovations, so this would be a great time for MS to steal some people back.

Dave

snow leopard is just a faster version of leopard...

also does this mean we can downgrade again!!!

Edited by matthew0155, 29 October 2008 - 11:42 AM.

#14 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:33 PM

Examples:
Widgets?!

Dave

You're an idiot. Calling OSX successful is like calling someone who sold 5 BMWs more successful than someone who sold 90 Fords.

Yes it is more like OSX. OSX has some nice features. Microsoft wants to say "Fuck you, Apple, we can offer everything you offer to the faggots like widgets, as well as things for actual developers, like Photoshop 64-bit and vidya games."

Hence HOW YOU LIKE DEM APPLES

M1KHZp5ZMJQ

Scroll down and watch these videos

Increased performance and speed while introducing new features and a better UI are innovations, sir.

OSX 10.6 is to 10.5 what SP2 was to XP.

#15 Sniprwulf

Sniprwulf

demolition expert

• Dedicated Member
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:59 PM

4 words:

developers developers developers developers.

#16 Jack

Jack

The Uncola

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:20 PM

I'm not going to get excited about it.

The only way you would get excited is if they made an OS out of cockmeat.

#17 matthew0155

matthew0155

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:19 PM

The only way you would get excited is if they made an OS out of cockmeat.

hahaha props + rep.

#18 DocSeuss

DocSeuss

Combine Zombie

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:41 PM

Chris you sound like a 12 year old boy who's best friend is being made fun of. Oh wait that seems about right... You sound like people everyone hates, a fanboi. Oh noes someone mentioned something else, I better step in and prove my fanboi-ism.

I think it comes down to your interpretation of success. In the technology market the growth of Apple is ridiculous. Their growth has made them undoubtedly successful. No one can argue what they have done in the last 5-6 years, its amazing to do that in business. Let alone in the tech industry. I would much rather own 5 BMW's over the equivalent in Fords.

To be successful in the technology industry you must continue to innovate, a lot of companies have issues succeeding with this. Innovation = growth and success.

Increased performance and speed while introducing new features and a better UI are innovations, sir.

I wouldnt agree with your interpretation of innovation, but if we take that as a given you are saying that Snow Leopard is also very innovative. I doubt we would ever hear those words from you however. About Snow Leopard: "The new system will not focus on new end-user features, but rather on improving performance, efficiency and reducing its overall footprint."

I came in here to say that W7 looks good and not to take stabs at it, but its surprising how very familiar with OSX it is. Im interested to see how they make it have a smaller foot print, removing some of the useless software they include with it. Then again I am equally weary of this whole cloud computing thing. I look forward to giving it a try, but if I have to deal with retarded Microsoft fanbois I might be cautious.

Dave

#19 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:06 PM

Let alone in the tech industry. I would much rather own 5 BMW's over the equivalent in Fords.

You missed the point of my analogy; I would rather own 5 BMW's myself but it's not about you owning, it's about you selling. What I'm saying is Apple sells less copies of OSX at a higher price (I admit this is flawed, when I say sell OSX at a higher price I mean the copy that comes with a Mac, Microsoft doesn't make their own hardware like Apple, but I'm sure you understand what I mean) but because so many more computers with Windows are bought, which are cheaper, Microsoft gets a bigger userbase.

I wouldnt agree with your interpretation of innovation, but if we take that as a given you are saying that Snow Leopard is also very innovative. I doubt we would ever hear those words from you however. About Snow Leopard: "The new system will not focus on new end-user features, but rather on improving performance, efficiency and reducing its overall footprint."

I came in here to say that W7 looks good and not to take stabs at it, but its surprising how very familiar with OSX it is. Im interested to see how they make it have a smaller foot print, removing some of the useless software they include with it. Then again I am equally weary of this whole cloud computing thing. I look forward to giving it a try, but if I have to deal with retarded Microsoft fanbois I might be cautious.

Dave

Yes, if Snow Leopard does what Apple says it will, it will be innovative. Any company that can make software which adds features while increasing speed is innovative. Also, useless software? Useless to you maybe, but programs like the DVD Maker and Photo Gallery are useful to many...in fact Apple does exactly the same thing. iPhoto. iMovie. iCal. And so on.

It's not my fault if you get butthurt every time someone points out the flaws of your favorite technology company.

Posted Image

You can't do either of these things on a Mac without using virtualization software or booting into Windows, so what exactly was the point of paying a ridiculous amount for a Mac in the first place? Final Cut? OSx86.

#20 J.Pizzack

J.Pizzack

Most Hated On

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:26 AM

If W7 is less of a resource hog than it's predecessors I think I will def upgrade to it. I have yet to find any reason to get vista aside from just buying a new laptop that already comes with it.
W7 looks simplistic and easy to operate which is gonna be a selling point, so I'm sure I'll get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users