52 replies to this topic

#41 MainEvent

MainEvent

God of the Godless

• Dedicated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:10 PM

if by others, you mean 80% of Steam users, which is the logical majority then yes, but Please f*ckoff with the praise of Vista, Stats speak for themselves

Windows XP 1,435,406 80.77 %
Windows Vista 267,917 15.08 %
Windows Vista 64 bit 47,689 2.68 %
Windows 2003 64 bit 12,516 0.70 %
Windows 2000 10,839 0.61 %
Other 2,684 0.15 %

That was interesting. The 5200 seems quite common.

#42 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:25 AM

No, that's not fair. Me liking Vista more than XP had nothing to do with my initial argument, I was talking about Windows as a whole. It's not until Scroll came in that everyone started badgering me because I think "Vista is fine." I like XP. I like Vista even more. I'm sure I'll like 7 even more. My point is that I like Windows. Get over it.

#43 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:16 PM

true enough, suppose that did come out harsher then what I had intended.

ontopic: I installed W7 with VMware last night and it was pretty good I guess, I still think they need to work on de-vista'fying it, where it stands, its in very early development, I didn't really get a chance to benchmark performance (wanted to see if it was bootable / functional first), they did add some good features and whatnot, nothing really amazing, but once you disable all of those stupid eyecandy options it performs relatively fast, now to see what happens when the later builds come.

side note, all windows beta products have a kill switch, some form of normal command or setting you enable and the entire OS gets fucked, in w7 case, Disabling certain services will fuckup windows login even in safemode :)

#44 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:46 PM

side note, all windows beta products have a kill switch, some form of normal command or setting you enable and the entire OS gets fucked, in w7 case, Disabling certain services will fuckup windows login even in safemode :)

That's to prevent you dirty pirates from using it as your permanent OS. :P

I read that the downloadable build didn't include all the UI improvements, but in any case the UI should be changed a fair bit in the final product. I'd like to see more than a few visual style options included in Windows. I don't think Vista is bad, but it should have been a lot better. I guarantee if they optimize it to use less than 50MB of RAM while idle it will overtake XP in no time.

Also sucks that you can't "de-Vistafy" it, UAC is useless and the indexer is the biggest performance hog.

#45 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:05 PM

you know, if and when Windows 7 gets released, I plan on removing the entire explorer shell and replacing it with an alternative just to regain the performance i lose from those stupid visuals that you cant disable.

#46 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:52 AM

What visual effects? If you turn Aero off you shouldn't have any special visual effects besides the ones from XP.

#47 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:13 AM

thats what I mean, all of those take up a good deal of performance in general, also didn't see fuckall about Aero when running it.

#48 Chris82

Chris82

Serpentis Rear Admiral

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:54 PM

Well it still has that "Visual Effects" option like in XP in the system settings window in Control Panel.

Also Aero doesn't decrease gaming performance because it uses your GPU and not CPU and when another application that uses D3D launches, it disables it.

#49 DarkShadow

DarkShadow

Elitist Fuck

• Gods
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:37 PM

taking up more resources does tend to slow things down, I'm still very skeptical with w7, I'll give it more of a shot then vista on my machine once the RC1-2 builds start floating around though.

#50 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:13 PM

Around July is my guess, when the stop selling XP again.

Lol, at my prediction ability.

http://lifehacker.co...l-ship-mid 2009

CNET reports that Windows 7 will ship mid-year 2009, just in time to find its place under the tree on pre-configured machines by the 2009 holiday season. After taking a look at our continuing Windows 7 coverage, will you be first in line for Windows 7?

http://gizmodo.com/5...ipping-mid 2009

#51 matthew0155

matthew0155

• Server Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:32 AM

Lol, at my prediction ability.

high 5

#52 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Defiant Little Prick

• Demigod
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:28 PM

http://lifehacker.co...chmarks-updated

Boot time tests. Seems promising.

#53 Scroll_Lock88

Scroll_Lock88

Internetz.

• Banned
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:07 PM

http://lifehacker.co...chmarks-updated

Boot time tests. Seems promising.

I'm not reading a damn thing about it till it is damn close to being released. Too much sh*t is promised or added then taken away than I care to even know about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users